SOMETHING COMPLETELY DIFFERENT

Well at least for me anyway.

As I mentioned in my last post I am now making three more drawers/boxes for my wife. And from my experience with the last three I cut the finger joints on my router table, and this time I DID make the pieces wider so I could cut off and hand plane them to get the width I want. Plus not trying to use a table saw jig this time saved a huge amount of time.

And I decided that instead of cutting the groove for the bottoms completely across all of the pieces, on the sides I would make stopped grooves. One the last three drawers/boxes cutting the grooves from one end to the other meant that the fingers at each end had voids that I had to fill to maintain the finger joint look, and it took quite awhile to hand plane pieces to fit in those spaces (and really did not look all that great – to me anyway though others probably will not notice).

So I figured out where to place stop blocks on each side of my router bit and after a couple of trials, and adjustments,  made the grooves. With the stopped grooves the fingers on the ends are whole (mostly) , and the part of the finger left will be inside its’ mating slots; well that is the plan at least.

Something that happened again was some of the slots are wider than others so there are gaps on each side of the fingers. One the last three drawers/boxes I thought it was something I had done wrong, but since it has occurred again it has to be something else.

One each drawer there are a total of 52 slots that have to be cut, for a grand total of 156 for all three. I cut these without stopping, as I did last time, and when I finished noticed that my router lift was REALLY hot. The only thing I can figure out is that the heat from the router must have transferred to the router bit causing it to expand enough, at some point, so that some of the slots are wider than the ones cut before that point.

Now I am faced with having to fill those gaps after my glue ups and my current plan of attack is to mix some saw dust with glue to make a filler and force it into those voids, sanding everything flush once the glue has dried. It is not something I want to be doing, but the prospect of trying to make really thin “shims” to wedge in the grooves appeals to me even less.

One other thing, not really related to much, is that I would have added a picture or two to one of the posts about these drawers except that our camera has quit taking pictures that are worth a flip.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s